My most recent food challenge has been to create recipes around the antioxidant power house, THE BLUEBERRY. Not too sweet, with hints of tartness, this berry turns out to be quite versatile. Because this summers sun-drenched crop was so huge, blueberries were plentiful at farmers markets, grocery stores and u-pick farms.
After lugging home case after case of this super fruit, I feel confident about the relationship we share. Here are some tips on how to get along:
When buying blueberries:
• Look carefully through the package for mold.
• Look for plump dark blue berries.
• If you are going to use in 2-3 days, wash thoroughly and let dry slightly and place in a Tupperware container in your fridge.
• Make sure to look for damaged or moldy berries while washing. If you let a moldy berry into your storage bin it will spread to the rest of your berries.
• If you have several cups of extra blueberries, make them into a Blueberry Compote and use as a topping for pancakes, oatmeal, or Caramelized Onion, and Goat Cheese Bruchetta.
• Take a twist on pizza and try my Three Cheese and Blueberry Pizza.
• Get a double dose of blueberries with the Mixed Greens with Dried Blueberries Tossed in a Blueberry Vinaigrette and Topped with Goat Cheese Croutons.
• The perfect finish to your meal is my Blueberry Crumble desert.
I hope you enjoy these blueberry recipes as much as I did making them.