This Chicken Taco Soup Recipe is easy to make before work and keep it cooking in your slow cooker, so its ready for you when you get home. I love serving this soup after a day of skiing, with some toasted garlic bread.
- 2 pounds chicken (about 3 breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups onion
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 Tablespoon ketchup
- 3, 14.5 oz cans stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1, 14.5oz can red kidney beans (with juice)
- 1, 14.5 oz can white kidney beans (with juice)
- 1, 14.5oz can black beans (with juice)
- 2, 14.5oz cans corn (with juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 1/2 Tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Fill med/large pot with water and bring to a boil.Add chicken, turn off heat and cover. Allow to sit for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from water and with a fork shred chicken by “raking” a fork through it. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot or slow cooker, add onions, salsa, ketchup, tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder, garlic, taco seasoning, brown sugar and vinegars. Stir together. Add chicken. Bring to a light simmer for 20 minutes or up to 2 hours. Finish each serving with your desired toppings.
*To freeze place soup in freezer bags or container. Place in fridge with top off until fully cooled. Place cover on and freeze for up 2 1/2 months.
If you want to use a slow cooker, mix all the ingredients together and set the timer to go off 3 hours before you would like to eat.