I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for
Roasted Beet Salad Tossed with Blue Cheese and Balsamic
- 3 large beets or 6 small beets (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (use
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.
- Wash beets and towel dry.
- Place beets on the foil and rub beets with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, with the back of a knife peel of skin and cut off tops and bottoms and discard.
- Slice peeled beets into 1/4 inch thick slices, then cut slices into 1/4 inch strips and then cut in half. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add crumbled blue cheese, vinegar and pine nuts to the beets. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss together and serve or refrigerate up to 2 days.