This appetizer is a perfect start to a Halloween dinner or substitute the olive for diced tomato or leaf of cilantro and you have a delicious appetizer for anytime of the year.
Quick tip: If you are in a hurry, hard boil the eggs and keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day . You can use bacon bits, in place of cooking the bacon.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup or 1/2 of an avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon shallot (or onion) , minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 strips of bacon, cooked crispy
- 4 olives, sliced into rounds
- Place whole eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water and a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil over med/high heat. Once at a boil remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour out hot water and run cold water over the eggs. Crack eggs and peel under cold running water.
- Slice eggs in half length wise and scoop out the yolk into a mixing bowl, reserve the whites.
- Smash and mix the yolks, mayonnaise, avocado, shallot and lemon juice. Season with salt.
- Place bacon in a food processor and blend until the bacon is finely minced to create a “bacon powder”.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of avocado mixture into the empty cavity of an egg white. Repeat with remaining whites. Sprinkle with bacon powder and finish with an olive slice.