This recipe makes 2 loafs, perfect for a large party or to freeze for a no fuss dinner. Each loaf serves 4-5 people.
Quick tip: Use a food processor to mince onion, garlic and sun dried tomatoes.
- 1 cup yellow onion, grated
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups sun dried tomatoes, puréed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds or 2, 12 oz packages ground pork sausage
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups jelly, marionberry or blackberry
- Pre-heat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, mix onions, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, thyme, eggs, ricotta, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire and salt together until all ingredients are well incorporated. Place beef and sausage in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and with your hands mix together until just incorporated.
- Portion out into 2 equal size meatloaf’s. Place in two, 7 cup round baking dishes or two, loaf pans.
- In a small bowl , whisk together ketchup and jelly. Pour half of the ketchup mixture over each meatloaf.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour- 1 hour 15 min. or until internal temperature reaches 160°.
*To freeze: cover uncooked meatloaf tightly with aluminum foil, label with content and date. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To bake frozen meatloaf: bake covered in a 400° oven for 1 hour. Uncover and finish baking for another hour or until internal temperature reaches 160°.