Make Ahead Tip: You can assemble the meatballs and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer. Once frozen place in a freezer ziplock and store up to 2 months.
Bake in a 400° oven on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°
If you don’t want to freeze they can be baked and kept in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a large pot with sauce.
Recipe makes about 30
Sauce – Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onion, 1/2 inch dice
- 4 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a medium sauce pot pour in olive oil over medium heat, add the onion and sweat for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- To the onions, stir in the vinegar ketchup, ginger, pineapple chunks, pineapple juice and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and the cornstarch.
- Whisk chicken broth mixture into the sauce and bring to a simmer. Allow to lightly simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn down to low and keep warm.
Meatballs – Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 Tablespoons grated yellow onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large bowl mix together the garlic, onion, eggs, soy sauce, coriander, ginger and panko.
- Add chicken and mix until well incorporated.
- Scoop into quarter size balls.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 165°.
- Add meatballs to the sauce and serve.