The maple crunch doughnuts at Cle Elum bakery are worth driving far and wide for. If your eastbound 1-90 from Seattle pull off at the Cle Elum exit and its located at the east end of the small
Roasted Veggie Tacos
Makes 12 Tacos
Before you judge an all veggie taco, you’ve gotta try it. I made them for my husband and he was suspect, wondering where the meat was, but after one bite he was hooked. The sweet roasted veggies with the creamy avocado cream sauce and Pico de Gallo is a winning combination!
- 2 cups or 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups or1 large fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 cups or 2 medium parsnips, peeled,1/2 inch chunks
- 4 cups or 2 large garnet sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 soft corn tacos
- avocado cream sauce
- pico de gallo
- Pre-heat your oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the vegetables, olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with a sil-pat or parchment paper.
- Spread the vegetable out on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown and easily pierced with a fork.
- Top each tortilla with roasted vegetables, avocado cream sauce and pico de gallo. Serve with a lime wedge.
How to Prepare Root Vegetables
- Fennel, look for a firm bulb with no blemishes, cut off the top fronds and the hard bottom. Cut in half and make a triangle cut at the bottom to remove the core.
- Parsnips, look for wrinkle free, firm and blemish free parsnips. Cut off the top and peel like a carrot.
- Sweet Potato, look for the sweet potatoes or yams that have an orange color and reddish skin. Peel and chop.
Avocado Cream Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (you can use reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- pinch salt
Avocado Cream Sauce Directions
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients until smooth. Keep in the fridge until ready to use. Use with in a few hours.
Easy Pico de Gallo
This is a quick and easy way to spice up store bought salsa.
Make Ahead Tip: Make and keep in your fridge covered for up to 4 days.
- 2 cups fresh salsa
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all together and serve.