Make Ahead Tip: Sear both sides of the steak up to 4 hours ahead of time and keep in the fridge. When ready, finish cooking through in the oven and serve.
- 1 pound Flat Iron steak sliced in half against the grain
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- gorgonzola cream sauce (recipe to below)
- balsamic soy mushrooms (recipe to below)
- Pre heat your oven to 375°.
- Liberally salt and pepper both sides of the steak.
- Heat a large oven safe sauté pan over high heat.
- Add the oil. Once the oil is glistening place both halves of the steak in the skillet.
- Allow the steak to brown for about 2-3 minutes, then flip each steak over and brown the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Place the saute pan with the steak in the oven and bake until a thermometer reaches your desired doneness*, between 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the steak into 1/2 inch slices against the grain.
Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
Make Ahead Tip: Up to 2 days ahead of time. Keep sauce in the fridge until ready to use. Reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute or in a sauce pan until heated though.
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese wedge crumbled
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Place cheese and cream in to a small skillet and bring to a light simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Balsamic Soy Mushrooms
Make Ahead Tip: Up to 3 days ahead, follow the recipe all the way through. Keep cooked mushrooms covered in the fridge. When ready to serve, reheat in skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, serve.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups button or crmini mushrooms, sliced 1/4inch thick
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is glistening ,add mushrooms and allow to caramelize about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and allow the sauce to reduce for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and serve.