I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for
The Wedge Salad
Make Ahead: The dressing can be made up to 2 days a head. The lettuce can be cut, tomatoes diced, eggs chopped and onion chopped up to 3 days ahead. Keep in individual containers covered.
- 2 head Ice burg lettuce
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (toasted*)
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 4 eggs, chopped (hard boiled**)
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 8 strips –Bacon(cooked until crispy and chopped)
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 cup blue cheese, such as Point Reys, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together all of the ingredients. Season with Salt and Pepper. Keep dressing in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Peel the top leaf off of the lettuce. Cut each head of lettuce in to 4ths. Slice out core. Place wedge on plate and top with dressing, almonds, tomato, egg, onion and bacon. Serve chilled.
*Place almonds in a small skillet over med/high heat. Allow almonds to toast for about 4-6 minutes or until fragrant and slightly browned. (stir frequently). Remove from heat and allow to cool.
**Place uncooked eggs in a medium pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, and turn off heat. Allow to finish cooking for 11 minutes. Drain water and place in a bowl filled with ice and cold water. When cooled, crack and peel.