Make Ahead Tip: Up to 2 days before, re-heat in the microwave covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- 3 cups russet potatoes, peeled 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups granny smith apple, peeled, cored ½ inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons cream
- 2 cups Irish cheddar cheese, grated (I like Dubliner cheese)
- Pinch of salt
- Place potatoes and apples into a medium pot, cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat, simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain out the water and add the butter, cream and mash.
- Once most of the large lumps are gone stir in the cheese and add salt to taste.
- Keep the lid on until ready to serve. Reheat over low heat stirring occasionally.