I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for
Prosciutto and Parmesan Wrapped Asparagus Topped with Poached Eggs
I serve these as an appetizer at room temp or as a hot accompaniment to steak, chicken or hearty seafood dishes.
Make Ahead – Up to 1 day ahead, blanch and wrap asparagus with cheeses and asparagus (don’t bake), cover and keep in the fridge. Toast panko, keep in a plastic bag. Poach eggs, once the eggs are cooked keep covered in a wide bowl of cold water.
- 24 asparagus spears- washed and trimmed
- 24 slices, 12oz- prosciutto sliced thin
- 1/3 cup- cream cheese- at room temperature
- 1/3 +1/2 cup parmesan cheese- finely grated
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, dried.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°.
- Bring a large pot with 8 cups of water to a boil, blanch asparagus for 1 minute for thicker stalks and 30 seconds for thiner. Remove asparagus from pot and rinse under cold water until no longer warm. Drain and Set aside.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat add olive oil, stir in panko and thyme. Toast for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese together.
- On 2 parchment or sil pat lined sheet pan lay prosciutto in 1 layer. Spread 1-2 tsp. of cheese mixture on top of every prosciutto slice. Place one asparagus on top of prosciutto, leaving the top 2 inches exposed and wrap prosciutto around the asparagus. Lay the wrapped asparagus 1 inch apart.
- Pour 6 cups of water and vinegar into a medium (12”) sauté pan over medium/low heat. Heat until just before the water simmers. Fill a medium bowl with very warm water. Crack 3 eggs into separate small bowls and pour 1 down the side of the pan into the water repeat with 2 other eggs, around the pan. For over easy eggs cook for about 3 minutes or until the whites become opaque, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in the bowl with warm water to keep the eggs warm while you poach the remaining eggs.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese over the top of all the prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Bake on the top rack for 4 minutes or until all the cheese has fully melted.
- Lay asparagus on a platter or individual plates, scoop out the poached eggs with a slotted spoon and lay over three asparagus, repeat with remaining eggs and asparagus. Top with bread crumbs. Serve.
What is Blanching? Blanching is a way to cook vegetables in boiling water to have some tenderness but retain a slight crunch.