- ½ medium granny smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 medium pink lady apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoon flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed and chilled
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss all the ingredients together except for the puff pastry creating the apple mixture. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface lay out 1 sheet of puff pastry. With a knife score a ¾ inch border around the out side of the pastry square, then fold the pastry at the score to create a raised border around the pastry, press gently on the outside edges.
- Pour the apple mixture in the middle of the pastry and spread out evenly inside the border. Bake on a sil-pat or parchment lined baking sheet in the middle rack for 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce (recipe below).
- Remove the pie from the oven and pour about ¼ cup of the caramel sauce over the apples. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Place butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring butter and sugar to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar mixture is well combined and comes to a boil, immediately reduce heat to low and whisk in vanilla, heavy cream and salt.
- Serve or keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Freeze up to 4 months.