I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for a
Shrimp Surf Kabobs
This recipe was featured on Jill’s Father’s Day segment on Fox Q13 Morning News which aired on Friday, June 18th, 2010. Click here to watch the video of Jill preparing this recipe and for the other Kabob recipes that went along with this one.
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 quarter size slices of ginger root
- pinch or 2 or cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 24 shrimp 26-30 count, peeled and deveined
- ¾ teaspoon arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 2-3 green onions, 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- Soak 12, 6 inch wooden skewers in water.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all the ingredients thru the olive oil. Add the shrimp and keep in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- Before you turn your grill on, spray your grill with High Heat Pam and then Pre-heat your grill to 350.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and pour the marinade into a small sauté pan, whisk the arrowroot into the cold marinade. Once the arrowroot is mixed in, turn the heat onto medium and bring to a simmer and reduce for about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with one skewer, skew through one piece of green onion, then skew the thick top part of the shrimp and then skew the tail (see photo). Repeat with green onion, shrimp and then finish with a green onion. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and place on the grill.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. They are done when they turn pink and opaque.
- Plat, pour sauce over cooked shrimp and serve.