I make a taco bar and have the fish, “slawsla”, crema, lime wedges and hot sauce out for people to dress their own tacos. Serve with chips and an ice cold beverage, such as my blueberry mojito.
Make Ahead Tip: Up to 1 day ahead, make the Pineapple Slawsla, keep covered in the fridge. Make the Avocado Crema and place plastic wrap over the crema so it is touching it and no air is in-between, this slows the avocado from browning, keep in the fridge. Stir together spices for the fish.
- 1 lime
- 1 ½ pounds halibut, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper *optional heat
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6-10, 8inch four or corn tortillas
- Squeeze the lime over the halibut chunks.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder, garlic, sugar, salt and cayenne. Evenly sprinkle over all sides of the fish.
- Add olive oil to a large non-stick sauté pan over medium- high heat. Once the oil is hot enough (it will glisten when hot) add the fish to the pan (make sure not to over crowd the pan, work in batches if need be). Cook the fish for about 2-4 minutes on the first side or until a nice crust forms. Flip the fish over and finish cooking for about 3-5 depending on the thickness of your fish (the fish is done when it turns opaque and flakes easily). Remove from the heat and place on a serving platter.
Pineapple Slawsla (my mix between a slaw and a salsa)
- 1 ½ cups red cabbage, shredded
- ¾ cup pineapple, diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 ¼ teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar (I love to use Mr. Vinegars Morning Meadow Honey Vinegar here too)
- pinch of salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- 1/3 cup crème fraiche (you can use sour cream in a pinch)
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- 1 medium avocado
- pinch of salt
- With a fork smash all the ingredients together in a small bowl until well blended. Place plastic wrap over the crema so it is touching it and no air is in-between and keep in the fridge until ready to use.