This is the perfect lunch for a day at the beach, or a quick at work lunch.
How to Make Ahead:
Up to 1 day ahead, assemble and wrap in parchment, keep in the fridge. If you don’t have time to make the pesto homemade, you can purchase it from the store premade.
- 4, 10 inch flour tortillas
- 3 on the vine tomatoes, cut into 4 equal slices
- 3 large fresh mozzarella balls, cut into 4, ¼ inch slices
- ¼ cup pesto (recipe below)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, reduced (see below)
- 2 ½ cups lightly packed green leaf lettuce
- 8 large basil leaves
- Have 4, 14 inch sheets of parchment paper ready to wrap the tortillas with.
- Lay the tortillas on clean work surface. Lay 3 tomato slices on the bottom third of each tortilla. Top the tomatoes with 3 slices of mozzarella. Spread 1 Tablespoon of pesto over the mozzarella. Drizzle the balsamic reduction evenly over the pesto. Top each with ½ cup of lettuce and 2 basil leaves.
- To wrap: tuck one side in and roll the tortilla tightly over itself, keep rolling until the edge of the tortilla. Place on parchment sheet ad wrap tightly. Keep in the fridge until ready to picnic or eat. It can be at room temperature for about 1 hour.
Balsamic Reduction Recipe:
Pour balsamic into a small sauté pan over medium heat, allow the balsamic to reduce for about 6-10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pesto, Makes 2 cups
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 4 cup or about 6 oz basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add pine nuts and walnuts to a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Toast for about 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently (look for slightly browned and nutty smelling nuts).
- In a food processor blend, nuts, cheese and garlic together. Add basil, salt and lemon juice and olive oil to the cheese mixture, blend until well combined.