This is a great use of delicious fall beets. I love this easy, healthy and portable lunch.
- 3 cups roasted beets* golden or red, 1/4 inch slice
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 4 large basil leaves, minced
- 1/2 cup good quality blue cheese, crumbled
- 12 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- squeeze of lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup albacore tuna fish, optional
- In a large bowl toss all of the ingredients together.
- 4-5 large beets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.
- Wash beets and towel dry.
- Place beets on the foil and rub beets with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, with the back of a knife peel of skin and cut off tops and bottoms and discard.