Makes 2 cups
Bechamel is one of the five mother sauces and can be used in a variety of recipes from topping crepes to a base for your macaroni and cheese.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Heat milk in a small sauce pot until hot to the touch.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat, whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture. Allow to thicken over medium heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in nutmeg and salt.
- Serve or keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. To re-heat, place in a small sauce pan over medium heat and whisk, add a few more Tablespoons of milk to loosen the sauce.