This was inspired from my favorite cheese steak spot Bruchis in Spokane, Wa. I suggest using take-and-bake bread so it’s nice and warm when you serve. If you don’t have a crock pot you can use a medium sauce pot, simmer on low (don’t boil). Keep covered until ready to serve.
Make Ahead: Up to 1 day head: follow step 1 and slice up vegetables, cover and keep in the fridge. Up to 8 hours ahead, start at step 2.
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 medium chicken breasts or 2 cups, sliced thin
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup red pepper, sliced thin
- ¼ cup green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 soft baguette
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat or regular mayonnaise
- 6 slices American cheese
- In a medium bowl mix together the pineapple juice, teriyaki and soy sauce. Add the chicken, cover and marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours (overnight is best).
- Place the onion, peppers, mushrooms, chicken and marinade into a crock pot on high for 1 hour. Keep on warm for 1-8 hours.
- When ready to serve, slice the bread so it opens like a book and spread evenly with mayo and top with cheese. Place the chicken and vegetables on the cheese with a little of the left over marinade. Close the sandwich and serve.