The maple crunch doughnuts at Cle Elum bakery are worth driving far and wide for. If your eastbound 1-90 from Seattle pull off at the Cle Elum exit and its located at the east end of the small
Heart Beet Blue Cheese Salad
Make Ahead: Up to 2 days ahead, make blue cheese dressing, hard boil egg peel and dice, wash and cut lettuce (place lettuce in a bowl or plastic bag with a damp paper towel over the lettuce and lightly seal or cover with plastic wrap). Keep in the fridge. Toast almonds. Assemble salad when ready to serve.
To make this into the classic wedge salad, use iceberg lettuce, cut the lettuce into wedges, removing the core. Top with blue cheese dressing, egg, almonds, crumbled bacon and diced tomatoes.
- 2 medium red beets, washed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
- 3/4 cup quality blue cheese wedge, such as Point Reys, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 head or 4 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 cup almonds, slivered
- 1/4 cup honey crisp apple (or sweet apple), sliced into thin 1 inch matchsticks
- 1 lemon sliced, to serve with salad
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Lay beets on a large piece of foil, drizzle olive oil over the top and wrap tightly in the foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the foil and peel back skin and cut off the top and bottom. Slice into ½ inch thick discs and with a 1 inch heart cookie cutter cut out hearts and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the mayo, milk, Tabasco, 1 cup of blue cheese, lemon, salt and pepper. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place 3 eggs in a small sauce pot, fill with room temperature water cover and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Once at a boil, turn off heat, cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Remove eggs from water, crack and peel shell. Dice up egg and keep in the fridge.
- Pour almonds into a small sauté pan over medium heat. Toast almonds until fragrant and slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Keep your eye on them, they will burn easily.
- When you are ready to serve toss the lettuce, dressing, eggs, almonds and remaining blue cheese crumbles together. Top with beet hearts and finish with a squeeze of lemon and fresh cracked pepper.