I came up with the recipe because of my love for crustos and ice cream, I thought why not put the two together, and Voila!, a match made in heaven.
Make Ahead: Up to 1 day ahead, make the sandwiches and freeze.
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 flour tortillas, small fajita size
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups approx. vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- In a small bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar together.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot (this may take a few minutes) add 1 tortilla and fry for about 30-45 seconds, flip the tortilla and fry another 30 seconds (check to make sure it doesn’t burn while frying the last few).
- Remove the fried tortilla from the pan, place on a plate and immediately sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over both sides, move coated tortilla to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding more oil of needed.
- Once all of the tortillas have been fried, coated and cooled, spread pats of ice cream over the tortilla to cover. You want the ice cream layer to only be about ¼-1/2 inch thick. Gently press another tortilla on top to make a sandwich, enjoy right away and cut into 4th or cover with plastic wrap and freeze whole until ready to eat, then slice.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
I hope you enjoy this unique Cinco De Mayo dessert recipe! Let me know what you think!