Makes 8-10 cups
- 7 slices bacon, diced
- ¾ cup yellow bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- ½ cup carrot, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, small dice
- ½ cup or 4 oz clam juice
- 2, 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2, 6.5 oz cans clams, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes* optional
- 15-20 manila clams
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large pot over medium/ high heat cook the bacon until crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook for 7 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Stir in potatoes, clam juice, tomatoes, chicken broth, chopped clams, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Right before serving add whole clams to the simmering soup, cover and cook them for about 7 min or until they open up. Discard any that don’t open up.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.