I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for a
I featured my Mornay sauce recipe on Q13 Fox News This Morning served on a croque madame for Mother’s Day.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons AP flour
- 3 cups whole milk, warmed
- pinch of nutmeg and pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups gruyere, shredded
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in the milk while whisking. Allow to thicken for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce coats the back of a spoon, turn off the heat and stir in nutmeg, pepper, salt and cheese.
- Put a lid on the sauce and set aside.