I spent my childhood on the waters of the Puget Sound, boating throughout Washington's San Juan Islands and Canada's Gulf Islands. Over the weekend we were at Roche Harbor and I stopped in for
Summertime Blackberry BBQ Kabobs
In the heat of the summer I love going in my backyard and picking blackberries. Since I tend to have buckets full I came up with this delicious BBQ sauce and fun summer Kabobs that highlights the seasons bounty. These were featured on a segment I did on August 22, 2012 on Q13FOX news.
- ¼ cup walla walla onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup blackberries
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- pinch of chili powered and salt
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sauce pot over medium heat, bring to a light simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3 medium chicken breasts, 1 ½ inch cubes
- 2 Zucchinis, sliced ½ inch on the diagonal
- 2 red peppers, 1 ½ inch squares
- ½ sweet walla walla onion, 1 ½ inch squares
- 2 peaches, pitted, 2 inch squares
- 10 wooden bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- In a small bowl toss chicken cubes with 1/3 cup BBQ sauce and allow to marinate for 30 min.
- Spray pam on or oil your cold grill. Heat your grill to about 375 degrees.
- Evenly skew chicken, veggies and fruit onto skewers. Place on hot grill and cook for about 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn skewers and cook until chicken is cooked through about 5-8 minutes. Serve with BBQ sauce.