Makes 6 large toasts
Make ahead: The toppings can be made and kept in the fridge for about 6 hours. The bread can be toasted and kept out for about 6 hours as well. Assemble right before serving. All of these ingredients can be served at room temperature, perfect for a picnic or appetizers in your backyard.
- 1 ¼ cup heirloom tomatoes, diced (I like to use several colors of tomatoes if they are in season)
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon basil chiffonade, (sliced into thin ribbons)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (divided)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¾ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 6 slices rustic bread, ½ inch thick
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- In a small bowl mix together tomatoes, vinegar, basil, 2 tsp lime juice, sugar, garlic and small pinch of salt. Cover and keep in fridge.
- In another small bowl mash feta, avocado and lime juice together until only small chunks remain. Cover with plastic wrap making sure to have the wrap touch the spread so air does not get to the avocado and start to turn it brown. Keep in the fridge.
- Turn a grill or flat top on top med/high heat. Brush olive oil liberally on both sides of bread and place on heat. Toast for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn over and toast other side. Hot off the heat, rub one side of toast with cut side of garlic and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining toast.
- When ready to assemble spread avocado/feta spread evenly onto each toast and top with tomato mixture, serve chilled or at room temperature.