- 2 ½ tablespoons grape seed oil (or canola or avocado oil)
- ½ cup shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 pound brussel sprouts, ends trimmed and cut in half from core to top
- heavy pinch salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons beef broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ cup sour cherries, roughly chopped (you can substitute dried cranberries)
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ cup apple grated (such as honeycrisp)
- Place oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute stirring frequently.
- Toss in brussel sprouts and sauté for 2-3 minutes allowing them to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and add salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, broth, syrup and cherries and stir together.
If you want to serve right away stir in butter and apple over medium heat until butter is melted and brussel sprouts are tender, about 2 minutes.
If you want to serve later, cover with foil and keep in the fridge. When ready to serve place in a 350 oven with butter and apple until heated through, about 5-10 minutes.