I thought what is more football than buffalo chicken with blue cheese, carrots and celery? So I took the classic and gave it a twist. This will be a touchdown at any tailgate and most of it can be done in advance so you can enjoy in no time.
Make Ahead: Up to 6 hours ahead, marinate chicken, make slaw, make dressing and reduce vinegar.
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 4 1/2 cups napa cabbage, sliced into thin shreads
- 1 cup carrot, finly grated
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup franks hot sauce
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut down the center to make 6 thin cutlets.
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl mix all ingredients until well combined. Keep in the fridge until 20 minutes before serving
- Toss all the ingredients together. Keep in the fridge until 20 minutes before serving.
- Pour vinegar into a medium saute pan over medium heat and allow to reduce by 1/3-1/2, this takes about 5-7 minutes to make a thick syrup.
- In a large zip top plastic bag toss hot sauce and chicken together. Keep in the fridge for 1 hour or up to 6.
- Pre-heat your grill to 400 on med/high.
- Pull your chicken out of the bag and place on the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While the chicken is cooking add the buns cut side down to a cooler spot on the grill and toast for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- When you buns and chicken are done, top each bun with slaw and blue cheese dressing, lay the chicken on top, drizzle balsamic reduction over the chicken and top with avocado.
You want to take the slaw and dressing out to come to room temp so not to cool down your burger, but do not keep the dressing out for much longer or it can go bad on you.