It’s been a long winter here in the Pacific Northwest. To help my family warm up on these cold days I whip up a batch of fresh hot cocoa and if were lucky some homemade marshmallows or whipped cream for the top.
I also make a little extra and add it to my espresso in the morning for a decant mocha!
- 4 cups 2% or whole milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate chips
- Warm milk, syrup and vanilla in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 minutes or until hot to the touch. (you can also warm on the stove, bring to a simmer and turn off heat).
- Whisk in cocoa powder and chocolate chips until fully melted.
Serve with marshmallows or whipped cream.
For a fun twist you can also top with cinnamon or crushed candy canes.
Make a double batch and keep it in your fridge for up to 4 days.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time