This is my basic recipe that with a few tweaks can be the best nutritious meatloaf you have ever had or the yummiest meatballs you will make. The recipe below gives directions for the sauce and topping for meatloaf. If you want to make meatballs I suggest you top them with your favorite tomato sauce and pasta, BBQ sauce on a bun or sweet and sour sauce over rice.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into 4ths
- 1 cup carrots, cut in to 1 inch rounds
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bunch or about 4 cups packed spinach, washed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds, grass feed organic ground beef
- 2 pounds, pastured ground pork
- SAUCE- for meatloaf
- 1/4 cup +1 Tablespoon better than bullion, Beef
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cold water
- TOPPING- for meatloaf
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup seedless jam, blackberry or raspberry are my favorite, but grape jelly works too
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl pour milk and eggs over the slices of bread and allow to soak.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor working in 2 batches add half of each of the onion, carrots, mushrooms, garlic and spinach. Pulse until everything is finely minced, pour over bread. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Mash up bread and veggies with fingers to make a paste.
- Add the ricotta, parmesan, tomato paste and salt. Mix until throughly combined.
- Add the meats and mix together, making sure all the veggie/bread mix is fully incorporated.
- Place into 4 loaf pans or scoop and roll into golf ball size meatballs and place on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
- *If making meatballs put into oven for about 25 minutes or until cooked though. If making meatloaf proceed with below instructions.
- Whisk together all the ingredients through the vinegar into a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Stir cornstarch and water together in a small bowl and whisk into skillet. Simmer until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Pour evenly around each meatloaf.
- In a bowl, mix ketchup and jam together. Spread on top of each meatloaf.
- Bake for 45 minutes-1 hr or until cooked though.
This recipe makes a lot on purpose. For the work you put in you can get 4 meals out of it.
After you sauce and top the raw meatloaf you can cover with foil and freeze. When ready to cook bake at 400 degrees, covered for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until heated through about 30-45 min more.
If you want meatballs freeze on the rimmed baking sheet until frozen solid, then pop into ziplock bags. Bake from frozen at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated though.
Make the meatloaf or meatballs ahead and freeze for up to 3 months.
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
70 minTotal Time